Media Releases

State Member for Wallsend, Sonia Hornery MP, will move a Notice of Motion in Parliament today on the allocation of new Police officers to the Newcastle Local Area Command.

In August this year, 226 new officers joined the New South Wales Police Force. A staggering 83% of recruits were stationed in Sydney with the rest of the State sharing the remaining 17%.

The Newcastle Local Area Command received no new recruits, the Central Hunter Local Area Command received only one new recruit and the Lake Macquarie Local Area Command received just two new recruits.

Quotes attributable to Member for Wallsend, Sonia Hornery

“This failure speaks to a broader disinterest on the part of this Government when it comes to policing in the western suburbs of Newcastle, a disinterest which extends all the way back to 2011.”

“The NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research released its quarterly update on Thursday and there have been significant increases over the last two years.”

“It is a common theme at street stalls across the electorate, particularly in Beresfield and Tarro. The local Police station at Beresfield is open just one day a week and is, locals have told me, consistently understaffed for their needs.”

“My office has received a spike in complaints from people fearing for their safety and security, over things like unlicensed motorbike riders tearing up parks.”

“Police officers are so stretched that incidents like these are given a very low priority. They do the best they can with the limited staff and resources they have been allocated by this Government, but they need more.”

“In situations where seconds count, minutes are an eternity. This is not good enough.

“The people of Wallsend expect better and they deserve better.”